In the News
Our Satellite Club
Contact the Satellite
Officers & Directors
Group Study Exchange
Santa Claus Parade
5 Avenues of Service
Becoming A Member
Paul Harris Info
FAQ & Contact Us
- Please, no other Santa or Mrs. Claus entries in the parade. The Santa Claus Float and Santa himself will be provided.
- Parade time is 10:00 a.m. sharp, departing from the Superstore on Harbour Expressway, travelling north along Memorial Avenue, concluding at the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium.
- Each entry must be decorated well with a seasonal theme. Entries not decorated will not be allowed to participate.
- Floats with animals - please remember the “pooper scooper”. If you are incorporating animals in your float, please obtain separate insurance.
- We strongly encourage holiday music as part of your float. Our goal is to have every entry with music – the audience is asking for it.
- Please remember this is a family event. While we appreciate everyone’s efforts in promoting or displaying their product or cause, please consider the small children who view this parade. We ask that everyone ensure a proper code of conduct and personal attire is in place. Please refrain from alcohol consumption. Our goal is to make this event a fun-filled enjoyable experience for all those involved.
- Floats must be sturdily constructed, with rider and participant safety paramount, not presenting a health or safety hazard to participants or the general public. Railings & handrails must be strong enough to prevent falls. Fire extinguishers rated 2A-10BC are required on all floats.
- The ratio of adult chaperones to children will be no less than 1:10 for ages 6 to 12 or 1:5 for preschoolers.
- Any parade unit that performs exhibitions en-route must be a moving demonstration as not to cause gaps in the parade. Unsafe motorcycle demonstrations are not allowed and the motorcycles must maintain the pace of the parade.
- Participants may not jump on and off floats once the parade had started. Riders will not be allowed to leave their float once their float is in motion.
- The parade Safety Inspection Committee will be checking each entry at the staging area for compliance with the rules.
Parade Participant Information
- DROP OFF AREA IS AT THE SUPERSTORE PARKING LOT ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE STORE ALONG GORHAM ST. Vehicles dropping off parade participants and equipment are to travel CARRICK ST., turn down the roadway behind Superstore and unload equipment or let passengers off the parking lot on the east side of Superstore along Gorham St.
- NO PARKING IS ALLOWED IN THE ROADWAY BEHIND SUPERSTORE!
- THERE IS NO PARKING AVAILABLE IN THE SUPERSTORE FRONT LOT UNLESS YOU ARE A FLOAT IN THE DESIGNATED MARSHALING AREA.
- ABSOLUTELY NO VEHICLES except those in the parade will be allowed in the main area designated for floats.
Float Driver Information
- To ensure the parade begins on time, all floats must be in position at the Supertore by 9:00 a.m.
- To prevent traffic congestion, all floats must enter the Superstore parking lot from the Carrick St. at the entrance closest to the Harbour Expressway only.
- Vehicle/Floats are will not be allowed to enter the Superstore lot from Gorham St or Memorial Ave. Please ensure that your drivers are aware of this.
- If your entry has more than one vehicle, they must all arrive together for assembly purposes.
- Where possible, please shut-off vehicle engines prior to parade start. Reducing exhaust fumes at this site would assist our environment and the health of the people waiting at the Auditorium parking lot.
- The float driver must remain with the vehicle and be familiar with who he/she is driving for.
- During the parade, please maintain approximately 10 metres (30 feet) between you and the float ahead of you, no closer - no further. This must be adhered to in order to keep the parade moving along safely.
- Please have someone on the float to replenish walkers’ supplies in order to avoid any unnecessary delays.
- If you have mechanical problems with your vehicle during the parade, please pull over and wave others to pass. Should the problem be resolved, we will attempt to re-enter your float at a proper interval.
- At the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium please do not leave any garbage or materials from the floats.
- To exit Auditorium site, please refer to map and follow directions from the Police Officer on site for timely departure onto City roadways.
Candy / Give-Aways Distribution
- If you wish to hand out candy along the parade route, you must provide “walkers” along the route.
- Absolutely no candy is to be thrown from the floats. There are approximately 20,000 people lining the parade route. We are very aware of the difficulties to fairly determine or distribute your gifts of kindness to thousands of tiny faces along the route. As past parades indicate, the majority of these candy/give-aways items are being dispersed to those who are located at the beginning to middle of the parade route. Although we greatly appreciate your efforts, if possible, please remember that smiling faces are anxiously waiting near the end of the parade route (near the TBCA) and would very much appreciate your kindness there too.
- No candy is to be handed from horse riders. Groups riding on horses who want to hand out candy must have walkers to handle the distribution.
Awards and Awards Ceremony
- Float Awards:
- Governor's Choice Selected by the District Governor's representatives
- Most Original Christmas Theme
- School Category
- Community Group/Service Club Category
- Commercial Category
- Presentation of these Awards will take place at a later date. Winners will be contacted.
- Following the parade, refreshments for parade participants will be available in the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium.
- Santa and Mrs. Claus will make an appearance in the Auditorium lobby at the end of the parade to greet the children.
- A shuttle bus is available to all participants for a ride back to the Superstore. The departure location of this service will in the Auditorium parking lot along Beverley St.
Questions / Inquiries:
Please contact Warren Philp at (807) 632-3998? or Sante Sottile at (807) 631-7142?, or email us at email@example.com.